The Seventh Sunday of Easter
+ In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
O God, the King of glory, you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven: Do not leave us comfortless, but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us, and exalt us to that place where our Savior Christ has gone before; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.
“Be Thou My Vision” – Selah
A Reading from the Old Testament: 1 Samuel 12:19-24 (NLT)
“Pray to the Lord your God for us, or we will die!” they all said to Samuel. “For now we have added to our sins by asking for a king.”
“Don’t be afraid,” Samuel reassured them. “You have certainly done wrong, but make sure now that you worship the Lord with all your heart, and don’t turn your back on him. Don’t go back to worshiping worthless idols that cannot help or rescue you—they are totally useless! The Lord will not abandon his people, because that would dishonor his great name. For it has pleased the Lord to make you his very own people.
“As for me, I will certainly not sin against the Lord by ending my prayers for you. And I will continue to teach you what is good and right. But be sure to fear the Lord and faithfully serve him. Think of all the wonderful things he has done for you.”
A Reading from the Gospels: John 17:20-26 (NLT)
“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
“I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!
“O righteous Father, the world doesn’t know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them.”
O God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, our only Savior, the Prince of Peace:
- Give us grace to take to heart the grave dangers we are in through our many divisions.
- Deliver your Church from all enmity and prejudice, and everything that hinders us from godly union.
- As there is one Body and one Spirit, one hope of our calling, one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of us all,
- So make us all to be of one heart and of one mind, united in one holy bond of truth and peace, of faith and love;
- That with one voice we may give you praise; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
O Lord our Governor, whose glory fills all the world:
- We commend this Nation to your merciful care, that we may be guided by your providence, and dwell secure in your peace.
- Grant to our President, Donald J. Trump, wisdom and strength to know and to do your will.
- Fill him with the love of truth and righteousness,
- And make him continually mindful of his calling to serve this people in reverent obedience to you; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage:
- We humbly pray that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of your favor and glad to do your will.
- Bless our land with honorable industry, sound learning, and pure conduct.
- Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way.
- Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people the multitudes brought here out of many tribes and nations.
- Grant the spirit of wisdom to those we entrust the authority of government,
- That there may be justice and peace at home, and that, through obedience to your Word, we may show forth your praise among the nations of the earth.
- In the time of prosperity, fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, strengthen our faith and trust in you; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
O God, you made us in your own image, and you have redeemed us through your Son Jesus Christ:
- Look with compassion on the whole human family;
- Take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts;
- Break down the walls that separate us;
- Unite us in bonds of love;
- And work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth;
- That, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God now and forever. Amen.
“Most High (Psalm 47)” – James Block
Closing: – Psalm 68:19-20a
Praise the Lord; praise God our savior!
For each day he carries us in his arms.
Our God is a God who saves!
+ In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen