Praying the Psalms
+ In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen!
Opening – (Northumbria Community)
One thing I have asked of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life; to behold the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple.
Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory.
Morning Reading: Psalm 109 (NLT) – For the choir director: A psalm of David.
O God, whom I praise, don’t stand silent and aloof while the wicked slander me and tell lies about me. They surround me with hateful words and fight against me for no reason. I love them, but they try to destroy me with accusations even as I am praying for them! They repay evil for good, and hatred for my love. They say,
- “Get an evil person to turn against him. Send an accuser to bring him to trial.
- When his case comes up for judgment, let him be pronounced guilty. Count his prayers as sins.
- Let his years be few; let someone else take his position.
- May his children become fatherless, and his wife a widow.
- May his children wander as beggars and be driven from their ruined homes.
- May creditors seize his entire estate, and strangers take all he has earned.
- Let no one be kind to him; let no one pity his fatherless children.
- May all his offspring die. May his family name be blotted out in the next generation.
- May the Lord never forget the sins of his fathers; may his mother’s sins never be erased from the record.
- May the Lord always remember these sins, and may his name disappear from human memory.
- For he refused all kindness to others; he persecuted the poor and needy, and he hounded the brokenhearted to death.
- He loved to curse others; now you curse him.
- He never blessed others; now don’t you bless him.
- Cursing is as natural to him as his clothing, or the water he drinks, or the rich food he eats.
- Now may his curses return and cling to him like clothing; may they be tied around him like a belt.”
May those curses become the Lord’s punishment for my accusers who speak evil of me. But deal well with me, O Sovereign Lord, for the sake of your own reputation! Rescue me because you are so faithful and good.
- For I am poor and needy, and my heart is full of pain.
- I am fading like a shadow at dusk; I am brushed off like a locust.
- My knees are weak from fasting, and I am skin and bones.
- I am a joke to people everywhere; when they see me, they shake their heads in scorn.
Help me, O Lord my God! Save me because of your unfailing love. Let them see that this is your doing, that you yourself have done it, Lord. Then let them curse me if they like, but you will bless me! When they attack me, they will be disgraced! But I, your servant, will go right on rejoicing! May my accusers be clothed with disgrace; may their humiliation cover them like a cloak.
But I will give repeated thanks to the Lord, praising him to everyone. For he stands beside the needy, ready to save them from those who condemn them.
O Lord our God: Deliver us from evil and the lies and deceit of wicked people –
+ who slander and bear false witness against us…
+ who hate us and work to ruin us and our families…
+ who raise the sins of our past to defame us…
+ who appeal to idols and false gods against us…
+ who divide us and demonize us…
O Lord our God: Save us because of your loving-kindness through your Son, Jesus Christ – that we may return evil with good, cursing with blessing, and hatred with love – all to your glory. Amen.
“Psalm 109” (Move) – Richard Bruxvoort Colligan
Blessing – (Northumbrian Community)
May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you, wherever He may send you. May He guide you through the wilderness, and protect you through the storm. May He bring you home rejoicing at the wonders He has shown you. May He bring you home rejoicing once again into our doors.
+ In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.