Praying the Psalms
+ In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen!
Opening – (Northumbria Community)
One thing I have asked of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life; to behold the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple.
Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory.
Morning Reading: Psalm 147 (NLT) –
Praise the Lord!
How good to sing praises to our God! How delightful and how fitting!
- The Lord is rebuilding Jerusalem and bringing the exiles back to Israel.
- He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.
- He counts the stars and calls them all by name.
- How great is our Lord! His power is absolute!
- His understanding is beyond comprehension!
- The Lord supports the humble, but he brings the wicked down into the dust.
Sing out your thanks to the Lord; sing praises to our God with a harp.
- He covers the heavens with clouds, provides rain for the earth, and makes the grass grow in mountain pastures.
- He gives food to the wild animals and feeds the young ravens when they cry.
- He takes no pleasure in the strength of a horse or in human might.
- No, the Lord’s delight is in those who fear him, those who put their hope in his unfailing love.
Glorify the Lord, O Jerusalem! Praise your God, O Zion!
- For he has strengthened the bars of your gates and blessed your children within your walls.
- He sends peace across your nation and satisfies your hunger with the finest wheat.
- He sends his orders to the world—how swiftly his word flies!
- He sends the snow like white wool; he scatters frost upon the ground like ashes.
- He hurls the hail like stones. Who can stand against his freezing cold? Then, at his command, it all melts.
- He sends his winds, and the ice thaws.
- He has revealed his words to Jacob, his decrees and regulations to Israel. He has not done this for any other nation; they do not know his regulations.
Praise the Lord!
O Lord our God: You rule and reign over your people and the world of nature; we sing praises to your Name –
+ for you have made the heavens, the earth, and every living creature…
+ for you have bound yourself in love to all that you have made…
+ for you hold everything together through your Son, Jesus Christ…
O Lord our God: You rule with unfailing Love and Truth, with Righteousness and Peace; we sing praises to your Name –
+ for you release the captives and restore their freedom…
+ for you heal the brokenhearted and relieve their suffering…
+ for you bind up the wounded and revive their hope…
O Lord our God: We sing praises to your Name as we prepare to celebrate your saving grace at Christmas, and your righteous judgement in the last days. Fill us with songs of joy and thanksgiving in this season of remembrance, we ask through Jesus Christ, who lives and rules with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, the same yesterday, today, and for ever. Amen.
“Psalm 147:1-11” – Scottish Psalter 1650
Blessing – (Northumbrian Community)
May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you, wherever He may send you. May He guide you through the wilderness, and protect you through the storm. May He bring you home rejoicing at the wonders He has shown you. May He bring you home rejoicing once again into our doors.
+ In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.