Peanut Gallery: Victor Davis Hanson identifies America’s Middle East Policy failures over the last eight years. Sadly, it didn’t have to be this way…
- Cut out all the trash-talking of Israel and Prime Minister Netanyahu, which ranged from off-the-record slights (“coward,” “chickens**t”) to public snubs to hot-mic ridicule, to constant ankle-biting of Israeli policy in pursuit of “daylight” between democratic Israel and the U.S.
- Quit the 2012 politicking and just left the 10,000 or so U.S. peacekeepers in a calm Iraq after 2011 to ensure what Vice President Joe Biden had strangely called the administration’s “greatest achievement,” and Obama had acclaimed as “a sovereign, stable, and self-reliant Iraq.”
- Taken ISIS seriously early on and not written it off as a “jayvee” terrorist group.
- Not bombed the reforming monster Qaddafi and his brood out of power without any plan of replacement.
- Beefed up embassy and consulate security in Libya and sent in reinforcement troops at the first sign of trouble.
- Never supported the efforts of the Muslim Brotherhood and the firebrand ex-CSU Northridge professor Mohamed Morsi to stage a one-vote, one-time Islamist takeover in Egypt.
- Avoided the empty and melodramatic braggadocio that “Assad must go!”
- Kept the sanctions on a lying, terrorist-subsidizing — and teetering — Iran, and dropped illusions of an “Iran deal.”
- Shown support for the Green Revolution and Iranian reformers in 2009.
- Passed on the idiotic “special relationship” with the Ottomanist Recep Erdogan of Turkey.
- Never have issued fake “redlines” in Syria or rhetorical serial “deadlines” for cessation of Iranian nuclear proliferation.
- Never have invited Russia into the Middle East after a hiatus of over 40 years.
- Skipped all the Middle East purple-passage myth-making, from the fatuous Cairo speech to the various apology tours about purported U.S. sins.
- Treated “radical Islamic terrorism” as a real existential threat and forgone the ridiculous euphemisms such as “man-caused disasters” and “workplace violence,” along with the embarrassing assertions of our top intelligence leaders that the Muslim Brotherhood was largely secular, that jihad was a non-violent personal growth journey and one of the new chief aims of NASA was Muslim outreach.
- Dropped the “lead from behind” cuteness, and loud talk of a pivot away from the Middle East.
Categories: Life around the World